This month, our Butchery team pointed out there’s few family meals more classic than a Roast Chook for Sunday lunch. We thought we’d share some of our best and failproof ways to get the best bird in town with you this month.
- Take your chicken out of the fridge a good 30 mins prior to roasting and preheat oven to 240C. Once your chook is ready to go into the oven turn it down to 200C to complete cooking.
- Don’t over crowd your chicken- make sure there isn’t too much in your roasting tray to start with or alternatively place your chicken on top of your veg. Bear in mind they will take longer to cook this way hidden away underneath so cut them a bit smaller.
- Baste that bird – basting keeps things moist and delicious. Be fast as that oven door can’t stay open so either remove the whole tray, baste and return to oven or be super quick in basting with the door open.
- Brining your chicken first can give you a beautifully tender result. Simply dissolve 30g of salt in 5 litres of water before adding your chicken overnight. Yes, you need a wee bit of forethought but all good food does!
- Resting time is important with chicken as it is with any meat so a good 15 mins to rest the bird will keep those juices in before you carve.
- We highly encourage the use of butter, lemon, thyme or any herb for that matter and a good homemade gravy crafted lovingly from pan juices.
Eden Farms chickens are especially raised for Farro Fresh and a recent visit to the farm gave us a new insight in the life of our chooks. We wanted an ethically raised chicken that also tasted like it was supposed to so we created the Eden Farms brand to sit in house as a brand we were proud to eat ourselves. Like anything at Farro we stand behind its quality so you can be confident of its taste.