Prep: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C, Lightly butter a large deep oven proof baking dish.
- Heat a medium sized saute pan over a medium heat. Add the bacon and cook for 3-5 minutes or until cooked through but not to crispy. Remove pan form the heat and drain bacon on some kitchen paper and set aside.
- Fill a large saucepan with 2.25 litres of salted water then put it on to a high heat to bring it up to the boil. Cook the macaroni to packet instructions or until al dente
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over a gentle heat, then add the onions and let them soften, without browning, uncovered, for about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle in the flour and stir to make a smooth paste, then gradually add the milk a little at a time, stirring vigorously with a wooden spoon, then switch to a balloon whisk and keep whisking until you have a smooth sauce.
- Add the nutmeg and season to taste, leave the sauce to cook gently for 5 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- Place the buttered baking dish in to the oven to heat through.
- Remove the white sauce from the heat and whisk in the mascarpone and egg yolks, followed by the Gruyère and half the Parmesan.
- Drain the pasta well in a colander before tipping back into the pan. Add the cheese sauce and stir to evenly coat the pasta.
- In a Medium sized mixing bowl add the egg whites and whisk to soft peaks. Very gently fold the egg whites into the pasta retaining as much air as possible using a cutting and folding movement.
- Remove the warm dish from the oven and pour in the pasta mixture, scatter over the remaining Parmesan. Return the dish to the oven on a high shelf for 12 minutes or until the top is puffy and lightly browned.
- Add the cos lettuce to a large mixing bowl, add 15ml of olive oil, season to taste and toss to coat. Serve past in bowls along with the green salad.
- 125 g Freedom Farms streaky bacon sliced into strips
- 500 g La Molisana Rigatoni
- 35 g unsalted butter
- 1 Brown Onion
- 30 g Plain Flour
- 425 ml whole milk
- 1 g Pinch of nutmeg
- 75 g mascarpone
- 2 Eggs Separated
- 50 g gruyere cheese, Finely Grated
- 50 g Grated parmesan
- 1 Cos lettuce Leaves separated and washed
- 15 ml extra virgin olive oil