- 700 g apples peeled, cored and roughly chopped
- 250 g rhubarb diced
- 1 cup water
- 2 Farro star anise
- 1 Heilala vanilla pod
- 1 Farro cinnamon quills
- 100 g unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 Eggs
- 200 g Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1 cup Plain Flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 100 g ground almond
Old Fashioned Rhubarb and Apple Bake
Winter puds like your granny used to make can't be beaten, and this one is super-easy but super, deliciously, good.
Prep time30 Minutes
Cook time40 Minutes
Serves 6 People
- Preheat oven to 190°C
- Place the apples and rhubarb in a large saucepan and add the water and spices. Mix well and set to cook on a medium heat uncovered for 25-30 minutes. Keep a close eye that it doesn't boil dry. Add more water as required. Remove from once fruit is cooked through.
- In a large mixing bowl cream the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until pale in colour.
- Add in one egg at a time, beating well before adding the milk and stirring through gently. Sift in the flour and baking powder, add almond meal, then fold to combine.
- Grease a deep ovenproof dish well.
- Add the stewed fruit, discarding the star anise, cinnamon and vanilla pod. Gently spoon over the batter and spread out evenly.
- Place in the oven to cook for 40 mins or until golden brown. Serve with a light dusting of icing sugar and yoghurt, ice cream or whipped cream.
Add Ingredients to your Cart
|Ingredients||Qty||Price||Add to Cart|
|Granny Smith Apples|
|Farro Star Anise 12g|
|Heilala Vanilla Pods 3 pce|
|Farro Cinnamon Sticks 20g|
|Eco Foods Eggs 1 doz|
|Essente Brown Sugar 500g|
|Lewis Road Blue Top Milk 750ml|
|EDMONDS STANDARD 1.25KG FLOUR|
|Edmonds Baking Powder 400g|